The Tungsten to Bobtail Natural Gas Project will be constructed in accordance with company, federal and state safety standards. The safety of the public around Xcel Energy’s natural gas system influences every decision made when we design, construct and operate natural gas infrastructure. Xcel Energy takes a proactive approach to public safety by implementing safety measures by implementing safety measures before, during and after construction.
During installation of the natural gas line, the following measures are taken:
- Implementation of a corrosion prevention system designed to eliminate metal loss during the life of the pipeline
- Verification of the integrity of the natural gas line through x-ray of all pipe welds by an independent third party
Once the natural gas line has been installed and prior to putting it into service, the following occurs:
- Internal inspection of the natural gas line with state-of-the-art equipment
- Internal pressure tests using water to thoroughly verify the integrity of the new natural gas line
After construction, during the lifetime of natural gas lines, the following measures are taken::
- We internally inspect natural gas lines at least every seven years with “in-line” inspection technology
- Continuous remote monitoring (24/7) of natural gas lines and all facility operations by Xcel Energy’s staffed gas control center
If you ever suspect a natural gas leak, leave your home or business immediately, and once you are safely outside, call 911, then Xcel Energy at 800-895-2999.
For additional information on our commitment to safety, please visit: https://www.xcelenergy.com/community/public_safety.